Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Six Degrees Of Driving Me Crazy!

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted here. I've been working on some secret projects (Seriously. I'm like a Bond villain now) so I don't really have many new pieces to post. But while searching through my hard drive for something to post, I stumbled on an illustration I never put up! So here we go...


This is an editorial illustration I did for a science journal about the phenomenon known as "six degrees of separation." An interesting concept. But how do you illustrate it? Well, turns out, there's a ton of ways to illustrate it. -- but only one gets you the paycheck.


I tried every angle I could think of before the deadline hit, and each one got the (very polite) thumbs down. Finally, I decided to combine the "science" of connectivity and bonds with the "six degrees" concept and they went for it. Good thing, too. As I recall, rent was due. Why didn't I go with that idea in the first place? Because I'm an idiot.


So, if you feel like wandering through my creative process, I posted a bunch of the rejected roughs below. You can trace each one of those rejects, in six steps or fewer, to a corresponding fist-sized hole in my studio wall. -v





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog. One favor : If you're gonna comment, can you keep it clean? You know...for the kids. Thanks.