Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Another Fiber Art Doll Design

As mentioned previously, I'm doing some doll designs for a friend of mine who is a fiber artist. This is the wolf (of Red Riding Hood lore) dressed in Granny's nightie, waiting for his snack to arrive. He'll make a nice companion piece to the Red Riding Hood I posted last week.


Oddly, while doing some research on the Red Riding Hood story, I came across this little tidbit:


"[E]arly variations of the tale differ from the currently known version in several ways...The wolf usually leaves the grandmother’s blood and meat for the girl to eat, who then unwittingly cannibalizes her own grandmother. Furthermore, the wolf was also known to ask her to remove her clothing and toss it into the fire."


Yugh! I think I'll just stick to the version I grew up with. The nice, clean, safe version where everyone's happy at the end...except the wolf, who's split open with the woodsman's axe so that Granny can climb out, unchewed, undigested and generally no worse for wear. -v

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog. One favor : If you're gonna comment, can you keep it clean? You know...for the kids. Thanks.