Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

Gallery Page Illustration : Final Step ( an expert's opinion)

You think your friends like to go on and on about what they know? Try bringing a drawing into a room full of illustrators.


Normally I like to get some outside opinions earlier in the process, but this sketch went so fast I was almost done before I asked for critiques. But I'm glad I did. My illustrator friend, John, thought alternate metals on the robot might look fun. Gotta agree. The brass metal against the steel really pops.


As well, most of my friends felt the original sketch had a spark of life and electricity that might have been hidden in the color layers. So I brought back some of the looser, more organic aspects of the original sketch line. It's something I'll keep in mind for the next illustration too. Never discount what another set of eyes can do for your image.


In the end, for just a few hours work, I like it. I know I could push it farther, make the textures more photo-realistic or tweak the contrast even more. But I like to stop here. This looks like a half-decent children's illustration to me. So much so, that I'm posting it on my website as the gallery opener. So if I didn't bore you to death with all this "process" stuff, go check out some of the other new illustrations in my gallery. Thanks. -v

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog. One favor : If you're gonna comment, can you keep it clean? You know...for the kids. Thanks.