Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Drilling My Way Into The Pittsburgh City Paper

Just a simple, black and white illustration for this post. My first for the Pittsburgh City Paper. This image accompanied an article on the controversial Marcellus Shale Drilling operation and the proposed legislation that would make it easier for people to drill for natural gas within city limits.


I'd be lying if I said that rendering skyscrapers and industrial equipment is my forte. Regardless, I was on a tight deadline and didn't have time to convince the art director that another valid interpretation would be a bear wearing pants. So I forged on, relying heavily on reference photos and dumb luck.


It all turned out ok in the end. I had a great time working with the City Paper's art director on this and hope to do it again soon. Below are some work-in-progress steps. -v

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog. One favor : If you're gonna comment, can you keep it clean? You know...for the kids. Thanks.