Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Goofy Santa (Christmas Wrapping Part 1)

Every year, despite having a ton of other actual work to do, I find myself wasting precious hours trying to cover up my poor gift wrapping skills with some sort of artsy camouflage (see Batman/Joker/Bigfoot wrapping from a friend's birthday last year).


So, first up this year, is a very simple Goofy Santa Christmas card for a friend who loves Disney. It's really just a little colored pencil sketch, but I needed to post something this week so I figured I'd throw the work-in-progress steps on the ol' blog.



Step 1: I have this old, mealy, yellow paper in a drawer in my studio that's perfect for making things look aged. I'm not even sure how old this paper is. I think it came with the studio. So I drew Goofy in a Santa hat and started in with the Prismacolor pencils.

Step 2 & 3: It's really just layering in color on top of color, very simple stuff. I wanted to capture as much of the paper texture as possible so I used a very light hand.

Step 4: The paper looks old, yeah, but I needed it to look a little more vintage. Not having the option of tea-staining it at this point, I just followed some of the folds in the paper with some sienna and ochre pencils. Now it looks warm and toasty. In the end, I decided the composition was horrible (big blank space, bottom right) so I threw a border around the thing and dropped the classic sprig of holly in the corner. The best part about this card is that, thanks to the paper, it feels like it's going to fall apart in your hands. So fragile. It'll be a Christmas miracle if it makes it through the mail. -v

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog. One favor : If you're gonna comment, can you keep it clean? You know...for the kids. Thanks.