Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Laziness Is The Mother Of Invention

I've been busy with a secret project lately, so I honestly had nothing to post this week. In a bout of supreme laziness, I thought I'd just post an old gag cartoon I did about five years ago. But when I saw it, I realized that, had I drawn that gag now, it would've looked completely different. So I took another run at it to see the difference five years makes.


How has my approach to this particular gag changed? Right off the bat you can see that now my mice are cute (left), as opposed to that bizarre cat/mouse hybrid in the old cartoon (below). Also, because I don't obsess over linework the way I used to, the drawing is a lot looser and carefree. Same thing with the coloring. I don't waste precious minutes speckling the floor with texture or highlighting woodgrain. Apparently, five years ago I had a lot of time on my hands.


So, five years later it's a completely different cartoon. The gag line's still funny, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who thinks so. For everyone with a heart of blackest coal who doesn't find my marshmallow gag hilarious, I tossed a few options there on the bottom. Enjoy. -v


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog. One favor : If you're gonna comment, can you keep it clean? You know...for the kids. Thanks.