Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

El Dia de los Muertos Mask, Second Attempt

The Day of the Dead is a ritual begun over 3,000 years ago by the Aztecs in what is now Mexico. And, though El Dia de los Muertos has since been merged with Catholic theology, it still maintains the basic principles and totems of the Aztec ritual--most notably, the use of really awesome skull imagery.


I have a few Mexican skull masks in my studio, so I decided to celebrate Halloween (and brush up on my Adobe Illustrator skills) by re-creating some of these masks. Here's my latest. I took liberties with some of the design, but I kept the general feel of the calacas.


Again, for anyone keeping track, only 15 days until Halloween. -v

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog. One favor : If you're gonna comment, can you keep it clean? You know...for the kids. Thanks.