This is just an experiment. I'm warming up for a bigger project involving sequential comic art, so I decided to work out the kinks with a few test runs first.
This one, Bigtooth and Sourpuss, is based on a story a friend once told me about a minor childhood trauma. Traumatic for her, hilarious to me. But the story's only secondary to my purpose. My primary goal was to experiment with different types of inking and coloring techniques. Verdict? Meh. It's not too bad for a first run, but I want to dig a little deeper into the mechanics of creating a comic before I take a second shot at it.
And though I really dig experimenting with the "wear and tear" technique that makes this comic look like it's been rotting in my attic since the '70s, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep that for the final project. You know, that big, secret comic project I got you all excited about in paragraph one. But for these warm-up exercises, the old worn look is kind of fun.
There are various stages of work-in-progress below, including a black-and-white version I decided to nix. I can only hope it's good enough to bring back horrible memories for the person who told me the original story. -v