Pages

Friday, August 21, 2009

Two Bad Pilgrims, One Great Color Job!

Hey, it's mid-August. That time of year when people sit around, sweating on their leather couches, thinking, "gosh, it'd be nice to see some Vince Dorse color work in a children's book...." Well, get ready to have all your dreams come true.


Two Bad Pilgrims is a hardcover children's book/graphic novel by Kathryn Lasky, illustrated by my good friend and arch-enemy, John Manders. So why am I hyping it? Because John asked me to do the digital coloring.


Here's how it worked: Through most of last Summer, John (a talented children's illustrator who often works in gouache) would pencil out his pages and hand-ink them with a brush, much like a comic book. Then he'd send me the black and white ink work along with some color sketches he'd throw together. Then I'd interpret those color sketches into something, well, something quite magnificent, really. Just thinking about it brings a tear to my eye.


So, below is a photo of yours truly in the thick of things with some color reference illustrations behind me, a quick step-by-step of the grueling process John and I went through last Summer and a link to the book on Amazon. Enjoy! -v


Ok, the link: For everyone who goes nuts over mischievous pilgrims (and hey, who doesn't?) you will find your holy grail at Amazon if you click this link right 'chere!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the blog. One favor : If you're gonna comment, can you keep it clean? You know...for the kids. Thanks.